Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A Phillipians 4:8 Mind


Philippians 4:8 tells us to focus our thoughts on whatever is true, right, noble, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy. The father knows that how we spend our time in thought will be reflected in our words and our actions. So I ask myself. What are you thinking about? Many will say that thoughts cannot be controlled, only actions. Is this true? Would the father have commanded that we think only Philippians 4:8 thoughts if it were impossible? Jude 1:24 tells us that HE is able to "keep you from falling and present you without fault into his glorious presence". Anything that we are commanded to do can be done with the Lord's help.

Are we making it hard for ourselves? I found myself recently sitting down for a favorite television show. I remember the spirit gently whispering "is this pure?". If I'm really being honest, television and movies are one area in my spiritual life that I often leave untouched. I excuse much of what I watch saying, "I wouldn't be able to watch anything if I didn't watch TV with sin!". How harmful can this justification be to our thoughts? These shows and movies certainly do not encourage Philippians 4:8 thinking. Psalm 101:3 says "I will set before my eye no vile thing". What we set before our eyes and put into our ears and minds can greatly impact our thoughts and ultimately our actions.

Romans 12:22 tells us that only when our minds are renewed can we test and approve God's will for our lives. When we set our mind on earthly things and not things above (Colossians 3:2) we may miss out on God's perfect plan. I never realized that all of this started with the mind!

I wish God would give me a list of shows and movies I should watch. Instead he has given me his word-the ultimate compass and guide. I am challenging myself to look at music, books, shows and movies with a Philippians 4:8 mindset. It might be one of the hardest things I've ever done. Will you take this challenge with me?

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Romans 12:2



1 comment:

  1. I love this. Thank you Mags for sharing what God has put on your heart to encourage others :)

    ReplyDelete